Karson is the best little traveler there is.
He always has been.
I thought that is just how kids travel.
He watches a movie, then he falls asleep.
Six hours in the car-no big deal!
He falls asleep in the car at nap time-I just bring him in the house and put him in his bed.
He keeps sleeping.
Then Ellary came along.
She was a little more difficult in the car.
She would fuss quite a bit.
After she was about a month old, she screamed.
Every.single.time.
Not just a little fussing.
Crying so hard she would choke, cough, and throw up.
Every.single.time.
We took a trip to Wisconsin a few weeks ago.
She screamed 90% of the way there and 90% of the way home
Three hours of constant screaming.
With Karson yelling: "Mama feed Baby Ella."
We stopped a million times to get her out.
She immediately would stop crying.
And she would immediately start screaming the second she was back in the car seat.
I sat in the back with her, trying everything short of taking her out of the car seat, to try to calm her down.
Nothing worked.
I wanted to cry right along with her.
Babies shouldn't be screaming for hours upon hours in the car.
I figured we would just stay home-and not take her anywhere.
It just wasn't fair to her to scream.
That worked...except we had a trip to the U.P. planned.
A six hour car ride again.
I couldn't stand the thought of her screaming that hard for six hours.
So, instead of canceling our vacation, we bought her a new car seat.
Instead of a new infant seat, we bought her the same convertible seat Karson has.
As it turned out diapers.com was running a sale on the newest version, and DJ got a bonus that week.
The seat is bigger than she is.
She looks tiny in it.
However...this is how she now rides in the car:
She went from screaming in her infant seat, to sleeping in her convertible seat.
Cue sounds of Angels singing.
I volley between being ecstatic she is now comfortable to feeling horrible about her infant seat.
Obviously, it was hurting her in some way.
And she spent hours screaming in that seat on the way to and from Wisconsin.
On the way to and from the U.P. last week she slept & smiled.
Happy. Happy. Happy.
Moral of the story:
Listen to your babies...they don't cry just to cry.
{I did call the company that made her infant seat & explained everything to them. They agreed-babies don't go from screaming 100% of the time they are in their car seat to being completely content for no reason. They are refunding us the price of our infant seat!}
That's great that they are refunding you! When we switched our middle child from an infant seat to a "big girl" seat, she whined a lot but was too small to say why. Once her words started forming she told us "buns...hurt!" I never thought that their seats might be uncomfortable. So just for kicks I sat in her seat. OH MY WORD it was awful! I felt SO bad for making her sit there. Glad you figured it out early on!
ReplyDelete