There is some sad news at the Smedley House.
Yesterday, after Karson woke up, his paci broke.
I had no intentions of stopping the paci in the next year.
I figured at 3, we would make it only at bed, and we would start talking about being done with it.
Except, Karson has thrush.
Thrush that will.not.go.away.
Thrush that keeps coming back.
His paci is making it impossible to get rid of.
So yesterday, when I realized it had come back, again, I hid all but 2 of his pacis and cut the nipple off both of them. I didn't draw attention towards them, I just sat them back down where he had put them.
I texted DJ:
"I cut Karson's Paci...if he flips I am giving him a new one...but I am going to try."
I was sure he was going to flip out, but he didn't.
He told me paci had an "owie" and asked if we could "go paci store. Buy neeewww paci."
I explained that when little boys get big, their paci's break, and then they are all done with the paci.
He didn't fight me, at nap he took his broken paci with him.
Then he walked back out of his room, slammed his broken paci on the table, and said trying to hold back tears:
"Mama no paci. Paci broken."
He slept for over 3 hours.
When he woke up, he said:
"Mama, fix paci?"
I told him I couldn't fix it.
He asked if Molly could.
I laughed...and we moved on to the next thing.
Bed time was a little rough, but only because he didn't want to go to bed, he never once asked for his paci.
So this morning we celebrated.
When he woke up, we made "breakfast cookies."
Aka: chocolate chip pancakes
He helped by scooping out all of the baking powder into the little bowl.
The eye lashes...he is still so little...but he is getting so big!
Our "No More Paci" celebration called for the fancy glasses.
And the red You are Special Today Plate.
A family tradition: special days call for the red plate.
He was so excited to have a special breakfast with Mommy.
I clinked glasses with my two year old, with our special glasses filled with apple juice, and celebrated another mile stone of growing up...no more pacis.










Aw, its soo sad and so special at the same time!
ReplyDelete