Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Favorite Kind of Day...

I have lived in Michigan for all but 2 years of my life.  I have learned to ignore the weather man.  Yesterday was no exception.  Auntie Leesh and I had plans to take Karson, and two of her little cousins to the beach.  We texted back and forth all morning.  There was a chance of rain, and it wasn't supposed to be all that warm.  We decided, even if it was cold the kiddos would have fun playing in the sand.  We chose to ignore the rain part.


 The weather man was right on one part.  It was a little chilly, for about the first half hour.  Then it was beautiful.  Hot, but not so hot that you were dying.


It turned out to be a beautiful afternoon.  Karson got over his fear of the sand, and started walking in it.  He was covered from head to toe.


We played and played and played.  And while Leesh's crazy cousins played in the freezing water, Karson investigated his toys.  My little engineer tried so hard to figure out how it worked.


A couple times I tried to get him to take a nap under the umbrella, but he didn't want to.  And at the beach, if you are still content to play in the sand, even if you are unbelievably exhausted,  play away!


He watched the big kids play in the frigid water.  He had no interest in getting wet.  He is smart like his Auntie Leesh and Mommy-we stayed nice and dry on our towels.


Sandy baby feet-LOVE!


At about 1:45 we made the comment that we hadn't even given a thought to going home.  Just as it started to get really warm, a cool breeze came.


And then we noticed the cloud.  The massive dark cloud heading right towards us.  A call to DJ confirmed we were going to get wet if we didn't head out soon.


We quickly packed up to leave, but didn't quite make it.  We ended up throwing all of our blankets and towels in the wagon, in the pouring rain.  The soaked and sandy umbrella/tent had to somehow get back into the bag.  And my cold hating Munchkin started screaming.  We laughed...I guess the weather man was a little  right.  Oh well...I'm still glad we ignored his warning.


By the time we got back up to the cars, the rain had stopped and the sun came back out.  It was chilly, and we asked the big kids if they wanted to go back down to the water to play, but everyone was cold, wet, and tired, so we headed home.

 ********
After our quick rain storm in the afternoon, it really cooled off.  Enough that we put on warm clothes, and went for a long bike ride.  We weren't ready to go inside after our bike ride, so we stayed outside to play.


He can go down this slide now.  All by himself.  I still refuse to admit he is turning into a toddler.





One of the only times he actually went down the slide in a way that didn't make Mommy's heart skip a beat...


After the side got old, we got out the bubbles.


The Munchkin LOVES bubbles!!




yaay bubbles




Karson loves it when Daddy plays with him.  Daddy gets the best giggles.


Mommy and her sweet baby.
Who is, still, not to be referred to as a toddler!


And our perfect day concluded with a bed time snack.  Outside.  Of course, the bowl was tipped over, the snack fell on the blanket, and then became free reign for the doggies.  Good thing he was really more interested in his milk/keifer than his snack.


We were supposed to go to the beach tonight to grill out, but the darn weather man was actually right. It rained all day.  I am ready for the rain to be done so we can return to my favorite place!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I miss Michigan beaches!
    It looks like a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect day for you family. I'll bet Karson slept well after that full day.

    I love the picture of him with his hands up grabbing at the bubbles. His look of pure joy is priceless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...