I was told all the time when I was little that Grandpa was getting old, and he had a hard time remembering. I would ask why he talked to himself, or why he didn't know what my name was. To be honest, I don't really remember my Grandpa before he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I remember that he loved to dance, and let everyone know it. He was witty, and his 1 liners always made everyone laugh. I always found it strange that he couldn't tell me what my name was, but he could tell me all about World War II, and could even give directions from how to get from 1 spot to another in Germany....drawing out a map in the air with his fingers.
My Grandpa passed away quite a few years ago, when I was a Senior in High School. My family has participated in the Alzheimer's Walk in Milwaukee every year since then. This year we decided to switch it up. Our Wisconsin family traveled to MI, and we walked in the Grand Rapids Walk.
A few pictures from this year's Walk...
pointing out his new love to everyone...airplanes
I love that Karson will grow up Walking for and Volunteering for such a worthy cause. I love that he was at his first Walk when he was 9 months old. I love that although Karson never got to meet his Grandpa Sullivan or Grandma Branderhorst (dj's grandma who passed away last december from alzheimer's), he has a connection to them. I love that they announced the oldest Walker at the Walk was 95 years old. And although we didn't have it announced, our youngest walker was Gavin, 3 weeks old. Can you imagine how different Gavin & Karson's elderly years can be, in a world without Alzheimer's? My Mom said it best...We walk for a cure...so that some day Gavin, Karson & his Baby Brother or Sister will someday live in a world without Alzheimer's.
Karson's flower in the Promise Garden







No comments:
Post a Comment