Which left just my parents, brothers, and I on Christmas.
According to my Mom, we used to have big dinners on Christmas.
Truthfully, I don't remember them.
I do remember the Christmas she had the stomach flu.
I remember her laying on the couch while the boys and I played with our toys next to her.
I don't remember exactly how the story goes...if she made pizza that year, because she didn't have the energy for a big dinner...
Or the next, because she realized how nice it was to not spend the day making a big Turkey dinner.
Either way, I know we didn't have turkey when she had the flu.
And that is how Christmas Pizza came to be.
My Mom realized she got to spend more time playing with us, and less time in the kitchen if she made her homemade pizza, instead of a turkey dinner.
And any kid I know would pick pizza over turkey any day!
One year she told us she was going to make a big dinner.
The boys and I told her absolutely not, we want Christmas Pizza!
I never had to leave my house on Christmas.
I never had to get out of my pjs.
I have had Christmas Pizza for as long as I can remember.
As a Mom, I don't want Karson to have to leave the house on Christmas.
I don't want him to have to get out of his pjs.
And I want to spend the day playing on the floor with him, instead of spending the day in the kitchen.
If I have it my way, we will always have Christmas Pizza for dinner.
And until otherwise noted...if you want to see us on Christmas, you can head to our house.
Because Munchkin is staying put!
The way it should be.
Her homemade pizza is another one of those family recipes that I have no idea where it came from.
But I know it is good.
And super easy.
And really, really, really, good!
Christmas Pizza:
Mix
1C warm water
1pkg dry yeast
Mix
1C warm water
1pkg dry yeast
Add
3c flour
1tbs crisco
1/2 tsp salt
Let rise for 1-1/2 hours
Brown 1pkg breakfast sausage
Add
1sm clove garlic minced
1 lg can tomatoes
'some' minced onion
sorry...it is how my Mom cooks and therefor how I cook
1 tbl oregano
Simmer 1 hour
Spread dough on a pan and cover with sauce. Bake 350* until almost done.
again, no time 'It's done when its done'
Top with pizza cheese, and return to oven until done.
Always enjoy on Christmas. :-)
Instead of spending my day in the kitchen yesterday, I got to do a whole lot of this...
This is the only picture I have of Karson and I yesterday.
It was probably around 4:00.
And it is exactly how I want to remember our first Christmas as Mommy & Munchkin.
I am still in my pjs.
Granted, he got dressed, because it is too hard for him to walk in sleepers.
But he is comfy.
We spent the day cuddling on the couch and playing on the floor.
I did not spend my day in the kitchen cooking.
And we ate Christmas Pizza for dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment