Monday, March 14, 2011

Counter Surfing


Molly turned 2 yesterday.
While most dogs would be starting to calm down at age 2, mine is finding new ways to get herself into trouble.
Consequently, making me crazy!
I am beyond thankful to still have her, after all of her medical problems.
But the dog's on my list!
And not the good list.
She is on The List.

We used to brag about how we could leave food on a plate in one room, and walk into another without her so much as smelling it.
HA!
Jinxed ourselves.
Our little Molly has discovered Counter Surfing.
It started off Innocent in December.
She pulled a bowl of hamburger grease off the counter when we weren't home.
Then the next day, she at a dozen cookies off my table.
A few days later she ate a few raw chicken breasts at my parent's house.
She was addicted, I was annoyed.
It was back to making sure food was covered, and pushed to the back of the counters.
She was fine for a few weeks, didn't touch anything.
I left a plate of food on the counter, covered in saran wrap.
She ate it.
Not the saran wrap though, she figured out how to get it off.
The next day, she discovered my parent's trash can.
Huge mess!
And apparently she doesn't like mushrooms.
It was an annoying new stage, but we needed to retrain ourselves to puppy proof before we left the house.

The innocent counter surfing stopped after Karson's birthday.
 The picture I texted my husband...
When I came home to a shattered plate, that once held the left overs of Karson's Birthday cake.
She ate the cake, that had cocoa in the frosting.
I wasn't worried.
What I was worried about, was if she had eaten any tiny pieces of shattered plate in the process.
Called the vet.
Followed her instructions.
Locked Molly in the entryway for a few hours, because I was furious with her!
Caved, let her back in, still so so annoyed with her.

Three days later, she started throwing up tiny pieces of plate.
Fabulous.
So much for our streak of no vet visits.
She is fine, and we paid $140 for the vet to tell her to stop eating things that were not food.
If only she would listen....
I am pretty sure I am the only one with a dog that could figure out how to hurt themselves counter surfing.

Any ideas on stopping this new annoying habit?

Oh and to update this post

September 2010 
Vet visit free!

October 2010
Seen for her bad leg.
She had a notch of scar tissue we were worried about.
Plus it was cracking like crazy!

November 2010
 Vet visit free!

December 2010
Vet visit free!

January 2011
 Vet visit free!

February 2011
Vet visit free!

March 2011
Streak over
Darn counter surfing!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! That must have been scary! She sure is cute though :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...