Thursday, February 2, 2012

Green 'Monster' Smoothies

I have a hard time eating the foods that I should eat when I'm pregnant.
I always have a hard time getting enough calcium.  
I don't drink anything other than water, coffee, and fresh pressed apple juice (when I'm not having problems with reflux).  
Which means no milk. Blach!
And I don't like cheese, unless it is melted.
I like yogurt, but only certain kinds...that usually have bad things in them that I steer clear of.
{Yoplait's Thick & Creamy Strawberry Banana Yogurt.  So good, but icky ingredients.}
I have been trying to get enough potassium & calcium, because they are both supposed to help with charley horses.
Which I get a lot.
And they hurt!

My Mom found this recipe, for Green 'Monster' Smoothies {peanut butter-banana-yogurt-almond milk-spinach}, on Pinterest this weekend, and stopped to pick up the ingredients.



It is GOOD!
And all its tastes like is peanut butter and bananas.
We have been making them every day after Karson's nap. 
Plus I make an extra one to freeze, for DJ to drink the next day at work.
It could be that I love it so much because I have been deprived of peanut butter for the last 7 1/2 months.
{peanut butter = horrid heartburn!!}
Or, it is just really that good!!
{for whatever reason, this smoothie doesn't bother my heartburn/reflux.  but I would never drink it close to bed time.}

Green 'Monster' Smoothie
1 T. Peanutbutter
1/2 C. Yogurt 
The original recipe calls for greek yogurt, but I don't like greek yogurt.   
We use Dannon's all natural vanilla yogurt.  
Stoneyfield Farm Organic Vanilla Yogurt would be ideal...but I don't like it. :)
1 C. Almond Milk
anyone know where you can buy this in bulk?  so expensive!
1 Banana Frozen & Sliced
peel, slice, and freeze the bananas the day before...or a few hours before...or use a fresh banana and add ice :) 4 C Spinach

I don't have a blender, just a little Cuisinart food processor (that I absolutely LOVE), so it doesn't completely liquify the spinach, but we don't mind.
I fill my food process or (a 4 cup) with Spinach, and blend it up.  Then fill it up again, and blend it up again.  
I pack in as much spinach as I can, because I know I am lacking vegetables in my diet. :)
Then I add the frozen banana slices and peanut butter, and blend it again.
I add the yogurt and almond milk last, and blend, blend, blend, blend, blend.

It is yummy...and tastes like your eating peanut butter & bananas.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...