Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Karson's Birth Story {2 years later}

I have sat down so many times and started writing Karson's birth story, but never finish.  Since I am anxiously awaiting Sister's birth, I figured I would try again. :)

Karson's pregnancy was difficult.  Those women that LOVE being pregnant...I was not one of them.  I was sick.  I was huge.  I was sick.  I couldn't sleep.  Did I mention I was sick?  I remember hitting a wall on the 28th of February.  I was exactly 3 weeks from my due date, and absolutely miserable.  I was in tears all morning.  I was exhausted, but I couldn't sleep.  I was hungry, but everything made me sick. ...and I was HUGE!  I spent the day running errands with my Mom, and had my last baby shower.  That night, I remember DJ telling me, "Well at least now we know we will have a March baby."

The next morning, I woke up at exactly 6am and got up to go to the bathroom.  I was more than annoyed to be up at 6, after not sleeping well that night.  Annoyed I had to get up to go to the bathroom, and even more annoyed when I thought I had completely lost control of my bladder on the way to the bathroom.  I was so over being pregnant at this point!  I remember thinking...maybe my water broke...   I called my Mom and told her I wasn't sure if my water broke or if I lost control of my bladder.  She laughed and told me to call my doctor.  The doctor on call was the same doctor that delivered me, almost 23 years earlier.  He laughed a little at me as well, and told me to come in.  I called DJ and told him to come home, but not to say a thing to anyone in case it was a false alarm.   I wasn't contracting, so I told him to take his time.  His 45 minute drive home took about 15 minutes.  He obviously didn't listen. :)

When he got home, I was cleaning & organizing like a mad woman.  I was determined to bring my baby home to a clean house.  DJ begged and begged for me to get in the car so we could  leave.  I finally got in the car, and we headed to the hospital. 

We got to the hospital around 8.  It was incredibly encouraging to hear that I was  maybe a 1.  :) We hung out in triage for a few hours waiting to see if I would start contracting.   I didn't, and at 10 they moved me to the labor and delivery room, and started pitocin.  Soon after my Mom arrived, and then Leesh and Katie.  I still wasn't feeling any contractions, and was enjoying visiting.  I took a nap, and Leesh and Katie headed to class.  Around noon, I asked about getting some pain meds.  I told them I didn't want to take any meds that could make me loopy.  I hate feeling out of it with meds!  Less than a half hour later the anesthesiologist was there to give me my epidural.  I don't remember how many cm I was, but I remember not making a whole lot of progress.


I labored away all day, oblivious to the pain thanks to the fabulous epidural.  Around dinner time they had me change positions a few times, because they thought Karson was face up, which was causing me to make slow progress!  That did the trick, and soon after I was around a 7.  I slept some more, and watched the finale of the Bachelor.  I kept telling the nurse I was feeling a lot of pressure, and around 10:00 they finally checked me and said I was 10 cm....and not to push. :)  Nurses were running in and out of the room, getting everything ready for delivery.

I started pushing at 10:15.  At 10:26, my sweet baby boy was placed on my chest.  He immediately stopped crying, and snuggled in.


 I remember asking the nurse to check his breathing, because he seemed to be breathing really hard to me.  I remember begging for someone to get me something to eat, and asking if it was ok for my Mom to come in to see him.  I nursed Karson, and around midnight, my brother, Leesh, Katie, got to meet him for the first time.  Karson got his first bath, and everyone but my Mom headed home.  Around 2:30am we moved to our recovery room, my Mom headed home.  DJ, Karson, and I went to sleep.  Kind of.  :)


I can not wait to see how Sister's birth story plays out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...