Monday, October 3, 2011

The Smedley Food of 2011

We have horrible, HORRIBLE, luck with appliances.  Seriously, horrible! 
At our old house, our fridge started on fire.  Thankfully, DJ was in the kitchen when it started sparking, and he took care of it right away.
Six months later, we got a recall letter for the refrigerator.  Apparently, they were starting on fire.
Ya don't say?!
But guess what?!  We didn't get a refund, because our house didn't actually burn down.  Technicalities and all.

We have had other appliances break, but my Dad has been able to fix them.
So Saturday, DJ and I are out raking the leafs.  He leaves to run some errands.  I put Karson down for a nap, put diapers in the wash, and go back outside to rake leafs.  A little over an hour later, I notice a puddle of water in the garage.  Strange, because we didn't run the water outside.
I walk inside to find my kitchen flooded.
My bathroom/laundry room flooded.
My closets flooded.
Quick, shut off the washer.
Call DJ...'Get home NOW.'
Get out the towels.
Start picking up the massive mess.
DJ gets home.
We run out of towels.
I run to my parents, get more towels.
Run back home to find that there was even more water downstairs.
DJ says about 50 gallons...ya know...no biggie.
Run to the neighbors to get a squeegee.

Luckily, our appliance issues are now funny to us.  So we were laughing, hysterically.  Brand new laminate floor...flooded.  Funny stuff.  So we pick up the disaster, DJ fixes what he thinks is wrong, and I have permission to run the washer again.
Start the washer.
My foot gets wet...
"DJ there is water pouring out of the bottom of the washer!!!!"
Shut the washer off
Still water is pouring.
Mind you...we have zero dry towels...
DJ goes downstairs to turn the water supply off.
Still water is pouring.
Call Dad...
"Please come help us!!"
Dad to the rescue....
My dad can fix anything.
Not this time.
Apparently my new washer that came with the house is so old, there is a whole rusted though the bottom of the tank.  Thus the 50 gallons of water pouring out of the washer while I raked the leafs for an hour.
Great fun.  Today-I brought 5 garbage bags of towels, and a bag of diapers over to my parents to wash...

Thus...
The Smedley Flood of 2011

1 comment:

  1. My mouth dropped open reading about your mess! I hope you are able to find a new washer, reasonably priced that won't flood anymore!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...